Broccoli for the Win!

June 22, 2017


I made these Cheesy Broccoli Bites that I found here as a side for our dinner tonight. (We also had lamb skewers and asparagus. Then strawberries for desert.) And they were pretty good! They need almond flour, which I found out today is quite expensive. So I only used half a cup instead of the full cup it calls for. Also, they needed about 40 minutes in the oven, not 20. They weren't as crispy as the picture implied, possibly because I didn't use enough almond flour. But they were still good. We dipped them in the ketchup I made last night and my son loved them. I don't recommend eating more than 6, though! I ate too many... Too much cheese and too much broccoli! But overall, a success. 

Here's the recipe from CrossFitBrit.com

Ingredients:  

2 heads of broccoli
1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
2 pastured eggs
1 cup almond flour (I used half a cup)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper

Instructions: 

1. Chop the broccoli into small pieces and steam until very tender. (I microwaved them in a bowl with water for 15 min. It works, so don't judge me! But check them every five min or so in case your microwave is stronger than mine.)

2. Measure out almond flour and spices and combine in a big bowl.

3. Remove broccoli, once tender, and drain well. Use paper towels to soak up any excess moisture.

4. Preheat oven to 375 F / 190 C.

5. Add broccoli to the almond flour mixture and then add the cheese and eggs to the bowl.

6. Using a fork mash it all up till well incorporated. The broccoli should break into very small chunks. (Just use your hands.)

7. Form into small patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

8. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through. (I baked for 40 minutes total.)

*UPDATE: I tried these again a few days later, and by making them into smaller clumps instead of patties (about 1,5 inches in diameter), they cooked in only 30 minutes and were crispier. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments