The SCD Roll-Up Reality

June 27, 2017


I found a recipe for SCD-friendly "strawberry lemonade" fruit roll-ups here. I was immediately suspicious at how easy the recipe seemed to be. You basically take a bunch of strawberries and lemon zest, pulse them until smooth in a food processor, and spread lines of the concoction on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Then you bake them at 175F for 2.5 - 3 hours!! The page just says 175 degrees so, at first, I assumed it was Celsius. Then I realised the blogger is American, so it was about 80C. 

I tried to build up the juice mixture so they would be thick, but that was difficult. The perfectly even ones in the picture above seem like witchcraft to me. After 3 hours, what we had was thin strawberry flake-type strips from the top rack and flaky-edged warm jam strips from the bottom rack. It was disappointing as my son was really having a rough day with all the things he can't eat today. 

We're finishing up Day 9 and he's missing cereal and crackers pretty badly. We found these Paleo power bars last week that I thought had only legal ingredients and he loved them. But then I realised, on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, you cannot have seeds until 3 months after symptoms have subsided. These had sesame seeds. So today he was so disappointed we couldn't have them again. I'm going to try to make power bars soon. 

I used ingredients we had in the house and made him some banana cookies to help the cravings. I will post that recipe tomorrow. I'm a little tired tonight. We had Celtic lamb, carrots, and broccoli for dinner, which was good. But all this excessive cooking with no carbs in my system is starting to take its toll a bit and I am spent! Hoping to get some of these recipes down soon so we can build up snacks and get into an easier rhythm here. 

If you try these and they work out well, please let me know what spell you cast in detail. Thanks!







You Might Also Like

0 comments