You're Stronger Than Me!

August 14, 2017



So, I gave up... I'm sorry. I tried to keep to the diet to support my son. And I even thought, since I have IBS and insulin resistance, it might help my conditions. However, I have been getting increasingly worse the harder I've tried to stick to this diet. I have had a terrible stomach and it is draining me at a time when I am already fairly depleted and in need of strength to take care of my son. I don't see how I can be keeping nutrition in my system with the way my body is violently reacting. I do need to be careful with what I eat, but I think I need to add some whole wheat back into my diet. 

I talked to my son and said I needed to stop but that I would help him get through it. This regime has continued to keep his diarrhoea at bay and, while he is still nauseated and has a persistent headache, he has felt some relief of these symptoms. Clearly our bodies are having a different reaction. I have to say, I've always known that my son was determined, and I've seen over the years, but especially during this condition, that he has an incredible tolerance for pain. But I don't know any adults with the resolve that my 12 year old child has. He doesn't cheat on this diet, even when he misses certain foods. He is so decided to make this work. He also has the maturity to realise that if he breaks it, he forfeits the progress he's accomplished and loses the opportunity to perhaps overcome this condition. I have so much respect for this kid. 

He said it was okay if I quit but added, with a smirk, "Just admit it. I'm stronger than you!" So I laughed and agreed. In many ways, he is absolutely stronger than me!

You Might Also Like

0 comments