Burned SCD Almond Flour Pancakes

August 02, 2017




I found a recipe here for almond flour silver dollar pancakes. I make regular pancakes all the time and I've been told they're quite good. These challenged me. They burned easily and were hard to flip. So I have spent some time looking around recipes and adjusting as needed. This is the recipe that has worked the best for me and that my son likes the most. 

Ingredients:

2 large eggs, 2 Tbsp of raw, organic honey, 1 Tbsp pure, non-sweetened 
vanilla extract, 1 Tbsp of melted butter

1.5 cups of almond flour, 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda

Optional: Add a few dashes of cinnamon

Mix the wet ingredients, then stir in the dry ingredients. It will be runnier than regular pancake batter, but if it is too wet to ladle into circular clumps on the pan, add a little more almond flower. Conversely, if it is too dry, add up to one more egg and 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract.

Cook on a heated pan on LOW (see below) that is greased with butter or your preferred oil.
Serve with butter and a side of berries or raspberry jam.


 

Here's where it got tricky. The batter was visibly wetter than normal pancake batter. I underlined silver dollar above because you need to make these pancakes relatively small because they will be too hard to flip. I accidentally over-ladled the first one and it wasn't a pancake, it was a mess of half-burned, half-under-cooked batter. So I discarded the ladle and used a regular spoon. 

Normally, you flip pancakes when they start to bubble. DON'T wait that long. Use your spatula to lift the sides periodically to see if the bottom is cooked. Once you see a tan colour, flip with care. The bottom starts to burn before you can easily flip them. Almond flour just cooks differently.

Which brings me to heat: I started out on medium heat, which would be normal for pancakes. Cook them on low! This increases your chances of not burning them before you're physically able to flip them. 

They actually tasted pretty good once I got the hang of them! And they were sweet and moist enough to eat alone or with a little butter. My son didn't need the sweetness of the raspberry jam recipe I linked above, so go ahead and try them dry first. You will probably be pleasantly surprised!

You Might Also Like

0 comments