First Day of Seventh Grade!

September 04, 2017


My son starts 7th grade today! It's so hard to believe we are already here. He got sick in the spring of his 5th grade year and he ended elementary school under this cloud of confusion and chaos as we scrambled to figure out what was wrong. Then, he started middle school with such hope only to burn out because he just continued to be relentlessly sick. He needed to homeschool for the first semester of 6th grade as we moved back overseas and in with family. Last year was a struggle to get into a schedule of any kind and we started this diet as he was ending the school year in June. Now, we're in a pretty good rhythm with it, so we'll see how it goes once we're in the swing of things again. 

He is excited for the new year and doesn't have a uniform for the first time in 3 years. He asked if he could die his hair blue. Now, I have had blue hair, pink hair, rainbow highlights - you can see just some of the evolution of my hair here. But my pragmatic lil scientist has never asked for anything like this. So, I let him have fun with it! It took a couple hours to bleach out his thick, dark hair, but he patiently submitted to it and is so happy with the results. Decked out in a Pokemon shirt and Star Wars shoes, and he's off!


For school lunch this week, this is the plan. My son loves celery and carrots. I know not all kids will like that, but he does. I also invested in a thermos and a fun-insulated R2D2 bag to carry it in that you can find here. So I have prepared: 

  • Carrots sticks 
  • Celery
  • Fresh fruit (strawberries, bananas, apples, etc.) 
  • Dried fruit (bananas, mangoes, raisins, etc.)
  • Nuts like salted cashews or pistachios. (I know a lot of schools are no-nut campuses. Ours is not. You can always save nuts for an after-school snack.)
  • Babybel cheeses, but you can use cubed cheese or cheese sticks (that are NOT mozzarella)
  • Sparkling water as well as his water bottle with flat water. (I feel it helps fill him up a bit more.) 
  • Quick and easy homemade soup like this one. You can look under my label Soup to find recipes as I add them. 
  • Monkies or other SCD legal cookies. (If the school has a problem with sweet treats, tell them they have no sugar and are a part of a strict diet your child is on. They have to have something they enjoy!)

Make sure they have a solid breakfast and drink plenty of water first thing! School mornings are already so chaotic. You're gonna need to give yourself and them extra time in the morning. My son feels very sick after he eats. So I need to wake him up early enough that he has at least an hour between finishing his breakfast and getting ready to walk out the door. I'm hoping he can eat at school without feeling miserable the rest of the day. We shall see!



You Might Also Like

0 comments